Thursday, October 14, 2010

FRESH

We have sort of gone hippie, I am sure some of you are saying......sort of?!?!?! I mean after all my son was born in our living room! However, I only say sort of because there are folks out there that definitely walk off the beaten path waaaay more than Neal and I, which someday I sincerely hope we can get there, not crazy hippie, but more along the lines of living off our land.....lots of it. My passion for whole living, real food, natural products and just all around awareness of what I put into my body (and my family's) started soon after Sophie was born and I had a new little life to care for, nourish and help guide toward healthful eating. It was a slow journey, after all I married a man who, when I met him his diet consisted of peanut butter and jelly.....on white bread and sodas.....Mountain Dew...ewwww. So I had my work cut out for me trying to woo my husband with health food......a daunting task I had before me, but with effort and slowly weeding out the bad and replacing it with good, I have totally gotten the both of us to a place where we most definitely make better and more healthful food choices. Now, that is not to say that we don't enjoy the occasional "bad food" as Sophie calls it, because we do, we just aren't pulling up to the McDonald's drive through everyday like some folks! Actually, McDonald's is something that we avoid like the plague, LIKE THE PLAGUE people! Sophie told one of the farmers today at the Farmer's market, "This is good food, McDonald's is bad food, we don't eat McDonald's" ahhhhh sigh, my heart smiled! If we are in a pinch we will do fast food, but the only fast food chain we will visit on occasion is Chick-Fil-A only because the chicken served is actually a chicken breast, not mechanically separated pieces all smooshed together, like some places. We are by no means purists, but we do our best to put the best into our bodies, but no one is perfect!

What sparked me to write this post was that we buy our chicken and eggs locally from a farmer about 20 minutes away, Sophie, Jonah and I took a trip out there today to make a purchase, which I should have called ahead because the chickens won't be slaughtered and ready until tomorrow, so back to the farm tomorrow to pick up our farm fresh chicken! Anyhow Sophie had a blast watching the chickens eat and petting them, she is definitely my little nature girl! There was even a turkey there that she got to pet, along with a bunch of ducks, who Sophie said looked like Mr. Mallard from Make Way For Ducklings. I braved it and touched the birds too, who knew turkeys and ducks were so soft! While there I was able to score a 15lb turkey for Thanksgiving, I was super excited about this since our farmer has been sold out for a while, but someone just canceled...Yay! So who knows we may be eating Sophie's new friend for Thanksgiving dinner! I did explain this to her, but I think I will have to continue to reiterate this point! I managed to snap some pictures on my phone, so sorry about the quality, but you get the idea! Neal and I are actually seriously talking about buying our own chickens from our farmer friend so that we can have our own fresh eggs!!! How awesome is that!!! I love it!




Anyhow I wanted to shed some more light onto the epidemic of this fast, cheap food nation that we live in and how it really and truly is affecting us, our children and that it IS in fact making us sick!!!! The notion of cheap food is appealing because you can feed a family for little to nothing, I get that, but why, why fill your child's body with such poor food choices that are doing nothing to nourish their minds and bodies, this is why our children are failing in school, are overweight and have early onset childhood diabetes! Alright I have managed to get on my Soapbox.....stepping down now. Check out the newest film, FRESH, it actually reminds me a lot of another film called FOOD INC. which came out in the summer of 09, I put up that trailer too! Enjoy! I really hope this sparks some interest and gets some folks a little more curious about what is in the food you are putting in your body!

FRESH


FOOD INC.

1 comment:

  1. Processed foods are much more profitable. Local produced produced are not profitable...so it's clear what type of food will win out.

    Of all the horrible products out there, soft drinks are probably the worst in my opinion...no nutrition, empty calories and loaded with sugar.

    Here's a good substitute for soft drinks: take real concord grape juice and mix with carbonated water.
    Great snack foods: raisins and Triscuts

    ReplyDelete