Friday, August 14, 2009

Oatmeal

I am pretty proud of my newest off the top of my head cooking experiment. It was a pretty simple revelation nothing majorly complicated, but I was pretty darn proud of myself none the less! We always seem to have an abundance of fruit in our house and usually it all gets eaten, especially blackberries and strawberries in that case I can't buy them fast enough because my little berry eating monster can't get enough. Any how on rare occasions we don't eat all the fruit in enough time leaving us with wasted food and money. The other day we had one apple left and it was about time it got eaten same situation this morning with two peaches, any longer and they would have been wasted. So with Sophie's declaration that she wanted oatmeal for breakfast on these two particular days I whipped up some homemade Apples n' Cinnamon oatmeal one day and then today, my favorite, Peaches n' Cream!!! I have to say the Peaches n' Cream came out AWESOME it definitely took me back to my oatmeal lovin' days except with out all the partially hydrogenated oils, artificial flavors, colors and variety of other genetically modified ingredients! It was fairly simple to make and took no more time than it would to make regular oatmeal (not the package kind but the rolled oats in the big huge container).

Apples n' Cinnamon Oatmeal
  • 1 apple cored, peeled and cut to desired size pieces
  • 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • Cinnamon to taste
  • 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 3/4 cups water
Bring water to boil. Add oats cook about 5 minutes or until water is mostly absorbed then add apples, brown sugar and desired amount of cinnamon. Cook 5 or 10 minutes longer or until you have the desired consistency of your oatmeal.

Peaches n' Cream Oatmeal
  • 2 Peaches pits removed, peeled and cut to desired size pieces (our two peaches probably ended up being about 1.5 peaches before they were added to the recipe since I have a little fruit bandit who invaded my kitchen!)
  • 2-3 Tablespoons brown sugar depending on how sweet you want it, but the peaches make it pretty sweet.
  • 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 3/4 cups milk
Bring milk to boil. Add oats and cook until most of the milk is absorbed then add peaches and brown sugar. Continue to cook until the oats are cooked through and you have the desired consistency. ENJOY! And feel good knowing that you can pronounce every single ingredient in this wholesome healthy breakfast and can list them all on one hand!

Please excuse my picture quality I definitely did not check the settings on the camera before I started snapping away and I was not re taking the pics, so I did what I could to edit them and make them look semi-decent!


2 comments:

  1. You go girl! I just love Sophie's crown bowl! Too cute!! Hope you guys are doing well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same thought today at lunch when I reheated some Peaches and Cream oatmeal I had made a couple days ago for breakfast. My kids love it so much that I make huge pots of it at a time and have some ready made for days like today when they are determined to eat me out of house and home. =)

    I really is better than that packets of stuff at the store.

    ReplyDelete