Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Two Pink Lines And A Hearbeat

Yes, that's right, the title is referring to what you think it is, Baby #2! The Slimick Family is adding another little one to the crew. Baby #2 is estimated to make his or her debut right around the middle of November on the 13th, give or take a few days, or ten if this one is like Sophie! This will give us a nice 3 year age gap between Sophie and Baby #2, nicely planned. I am just about into the 12 week of pregnancy......shocking I know, that I was able to hold it in this long. For those who know me well, you must be literally beside yourself wondering how I kept it to myself for so long seeing as I don't do surprises really well or hold onto exciting news for long, but after a while it sort of became a little fun to see if I could go one more week, and then another and another. And here I am fast approaching 12 weeks and we decided to let the little bean out of the bag. Another very good reason I did not share the very exciting news earlier is because I was feeling like complete crap. I was having a lot of low back pain early on and I was SO nauseous from about the 5 week mark up until the 10th week, it was awesome let me tell you. Trying to keep up with a very active, very inquisitive two year and feeling like you are going to yak all the time was mind blowingly fabulous! So I really did not feel like sharing the joyous news when I felt like poo. I also think that I just wanted to relish in the fact that Neal and I were the only ones who knew, like our little secret miracle, cheesy, I know, but whatev! We did end up telling both our parents at about 9 weeks, we couldn't hold it from them any longer(I am very proud of you mom for not telling a single living soul, I am really impressed).

We are going to be doing things a little differently this time around, our plan is to have the baby here at home with a very skilled, experienced, and highly recommended midwife. With our more natural approach this time we will not be having any ultrasounds (midwives typically don't do ultrasounds) so therefore we won't be finding out the gender this time either, again shocking with my lack of ability to handle suspense or surprises, but we made the decision and we are not going back. We will be able to hear the baby's heart beat with the doppler wand at each visit to see our midwife. We decided even before this baby was conceived that we wanted a different birth experience for Baby#2, not that we had a horrific time with Sophie's hospital birth, we just would have done things differently and spoken up for me and Sophie a bit more. We have done our research, so for those who are in complete shock of our decision, know that we are not entering this blind. We are very excited and looking forward to adding to our family.

We were able to hear the baby's heartbeat for a brief moment at today's visit, the little bean kept moving around! Every time our midwife would get close to the baby, the little one would swim away, although we only heard the heartbeat for a brief moment we did hear it and that was enough for me. We did hear lots of movement through the doppler, the little one was in there swimming to his/her heart's content trying to avoid the doppler! It appears this little one may be just as active as Sophie was in the womb! Apparently my uterus is a little larger than what is typical for 11.5 weeks, but the midwife said that is very common in second babies.......great just what I want to be BIGGER than I was with Sophie! Check back for updates and follow Baby #2's progress!

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Congratulations!!!! I know you guys are super excited! Can't wait to hear all the updates =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Congratulations! As you know how I am, my mind has already started swimming with sewing and knitting projects that are gender neutral! I bet Sophie is beside herself as well to have a new baby in the house soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I am so excited for all of you. Glad you are feeling better too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats from the Slimick family in Kentucky.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/slimick/collections/72157603769311930/

    ReplyDelete