Thursday, June 18, 2009

Do You Curl Your Two Year Old's Hair?

As everyone well knows, Sophie has beautiful long hair with pretty little ringlets/curls on the ends. Sophie and I were out running errands and a lady commented on her hair, "Oh I just love her hair, is it naturally curly like that or do you curl it?" REALLY???? Do I curl my two and a half year old's hair?? This is not the first time I have been asked this. I just smiled and politely said, "No, Ma'am it is naturally curly" and continued on. This happens to us at least 2 to 3 times a week, it doesn't bother me one bit, I actually have to refrain from chuckling out loud when these complete strangers ask such an absurd question. I mean have these individuals really run into or know that many folks that curl a young child's hair, how vein can you be and for goodness sake what is that teaching your child? Not that I am judging, but it is something I would never do nor would ever expect Sophie to sit long enough for me to curl her hair. I thought I had a good 10 or 11 years before I really had to battle/teach her about the Beauty Myth , but in today's society where mid-drift bearing, short skirt wearing, overly made up dolls are marketed to young girls I think it is closer than I thought and clearly I have my work cut out for me if I am going to instill proper self respecting morals and values in my girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment