Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Interesting Prenatal Appointment

I had my 20 week appointment with my midwife today, technically I'm only 19 weeks 4 days, but she sees patients every 3rd Tuesday of the month so it's close enough to 20 weeks! It was a very interesting and exciting appointment. The baby sounds great and I am doing wonderfully too! Now for the interesting and exciting part......I am 19 weeks, but I am measuring 24 weeks, yes that's right a whole 5 weeks larger than normal!!! So this could mean a variety of things:
  1. The baby had a really big growth spurt this month and by next month I should even back out and measure right on where I should be.
  2. That my dates are off and I really am 24 almost 25 weeks into this pregnancy and we are having a baby the beginning of October, but I am pretty sure we were pretty darn precise about when this baby was conceived. ;)
  3. Or there are two babies in there and we are having ourselves a set of TWINS!!!
My midwife said that we should definitely know more next appointment. (I really do love the little bit of mystery that comes with natural birthing and using a midwife!) By the next appointment the baby or babies will have grown more and she can literally get a better feel for things. What she does know is that I have consistently measured over or larger at each visit, so she feels as though we may be welcoming baby #2 in October, which could explain the intensity of the punches and kicks and Neal being able to feel the baby move a couple of weeks ago, but as I said we will know more next visit! At this point she did say that she only heard one heartbeat, but she also said babies have been known to hide and have the amazing ability to do so for a while. Who knows! All I know is that the baby is strong and healthy with a good strong heart rate and packing some powerful punches and kicks and for that we are truly blessed.

So whether the outcome is 1, 2, or 3 from the above list we are happy, excited, and full of anticipation, we are actually really enjoying the surprise that surrounds this pregnancy and could not be happier with the choices we have made and the care that I have been receiving. For now I will leave you with some funny pictures of Sophie and her baby. I do apologize the photos are not Neal quality, I edited them myself and I tried my best! :)


Proudly displaying that she too has a baby in her belly "Like Mommy".



"Getting the baby out".



Telling me that her baby is crying and that I need to hold her!



2 comments:

  1. How exciting. I can't wait for your next visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I can't wait to hear about the next visit too!

    So our paint color is grey/blue sometimes it looks more blue, sometimes more grey. I will have to look and see what the name is.

    ReplyDelete